1. We started with an introduction about how we are to be people who live faithfully & zealously for the glory of God. How does seeking to live faithfully, zealously, & for God’s glory make the habit of prayer so vital?
2. Then before getting into the passage in Philippians, some background information about the city & the church was given. How can this kind of information be helpful when approaching a Biblical text?
3. Then we read from Philippians 1:29-30 & saw that the church & Paul were both facing suffering & conflict. How can suffering, conflict, or difficulty increase a person’s faith?
4. Paul gives the word to not be anxious about anything. Based on the background, you can see why this would easier said than done. What are some of the major sources of anxiety in our world today?
5. Then Paul gives 3 exhortations in the second half of the verse. The first concerns devotion to prayer. What are ways you can more regularly pray in everything, be more devoted in prayer?
6. We are then exhorted to be earnest in our pleading before God. How does asking God intentionally & humbly demonstrate trust in God & an honest view of ourselves?
7. Finally, Paul exhorts the Philippians to be thankful no matter what. Thankfulness is gladness, and this gladness is in light of God’s grace. How can you remind yourself of the goodness of the grace of God & become more thankful?
Philippians 4:7 & Conclusion
8. The promise of this verse is peace for those in Christ. This peace guards the whole of a person. How have you experienced the peace of God in your life?
9. We ended with several verses & challenges to increase our habit of prayer: personal prayer, family prayer, prayer as leaders, prayer in community groups/prayer gatherings…in what areas can you increase your habits of prayer? If you’ve seen growth in one of these areas, what has helped?
10. The final part of the message was about the mission of our church, take time to pray for our church family that we would be a church that honors the Lord & pursues holy habits.