June 30, 2019
1 John 2:15-17
1. We began by seeing an exhortation in the first half of 1 John 2:15… “do not love the world or the things in the world.” Pastor Nate defined love as a desire for something & a commitment to something. Why do our days & dollars reveal what we really love?
2. Pastor Nate also defined the term “world” as used in 1 John 2:15 as referring to a system of beliefs/behaviors governed by Satan that are held & practiced by sinful humanity in opposition to God & His Word. So with a definition of love & world…what are ways we are tempted to love the world?
3. The second half of 1 John 2:15 says that it is impossible to simultaneously love God & the world. We were then given 6 marks of loving the world: the object of the world dominates the mind to the exclusion of God & His Word, the object of the world consumes conversations, an unwillingness to part with or give up the object of the world for God’s purposes, being disturbed that one possesses an object while not possessing it yourself, having a greater zeal & delight in the object of the world than in the God who created, & having a pride in earthly distinctions. What are examples you’ve encountered of each of these marks?
4. From 1 John 2:16, John gives 3 descriptions of the world & Pastor Nate then highlighted the connections to Genesis 3 & Luke 4. How does seeing how these 3 passages connect help us see the value of saturating our minds with the truth of Scripture? How can we be more Biblically informed this summer?
5. Finally in 1 John 2:17, we see that the world is passing away…therefore investing & devoting oneself to the world is tragic. While those who are in Christ, who obey the Word of God, abide forever. How is it encouraging to remain faithful to Christ in light of this verse & truth?